How to install Magneto
Posted by Bill Williams, Last modified by Sabi D. on 11 January 2009 06:39 AM
Magento shopping cart is compatible with our Linux hosting packages. Below are instructions on how to install it on your account:
1. Download the .zip or .tar.gz installer package from the Magento website and decompress it.
2. Upload all the decompressed files to your IndicHosts account via FTP.
3. Create a MySQL database and user/password for Magento. You can do this by going to cPanel > 'MySQL databases'.
4. Now use your web browser to surf to the Magento installation wizard. If you've uploaded the Magento files to http://www.example.com/magento/, then the wizard will be located here: http://www.example.com/magento/.
5. Since you are using the installer version, the downloader will be the first installation process to run. It will attempt to download all the necessary components for a complete Magento install. If you notice a few 'Warning' messages zip by on the green-on-black screen, don't worry too much about it. The installer will detect an overall success or failure, and if you see the 'Continue Magento Installation' button at the end (usually takes about 5 minutes) then the process has succeeded. Click the 'Continue Magento Installation' button to continue on to the regular installer wizard.
6. Once in the wizard, you can configure various system-level settings that are required for Magento to function. Most options will be intelligently guessed for you, but you're free to override any settings that don't look right. At the very least, change the database parameters in the first box, 'Database connection', to match those of the database you set up in Step 3 (please note that the database and username are your cpanel username _database and _username).
7. Success! You've completed a Magento installation. You can now visit the administration backend and begin configuring your new online store.