Knowledgebase: Web hosting
Corrupted FrontPage Extensions
Posted by Bill Williams, Last modified by Andy Williams on 02 November 2008 06:32 AM
Â There are many causes as to why FrontPage Extensions could be corrupted.
1. Using a FTP to upload or edit sites. We highly recommend that you don't make any modifications outside the cgi-bin folder or the public_html. Please beware that if you are using WS_FTP will leave a 'WS_FTP.log' which will confuse FrontPage and potentially corrupt them.
2. Running CGI scripts. Frontpage Extensions can become corrupted when running certain CGI scripts and can potentially damage the FrontPage Extensions.
3. Using all the provided disk space. If your account has reached its maximum storage quota, your FrontPage Extensions may get corrupted. For each file that you publish, FrontPage makes a copy that is hidden which increases the storage capacity needed for a site.
4. Editing '.htaccess' files. FrontPage uses the '.htaccess' files. Editing and making your own modifications to the .htaccess file can possibly corrupt your FrontPage Extensions.
5. Rare, but possible. Having too many files in one particular directory can cause FrontPage Extensions to corrupt. While there is no set amount of files you should have in a folder. We highly suggest that you don't keep more then 75 while using FrontPage to publish your site.
How to correct the problem:
1. Please login to your Cpanel Hosting account
2. Select 'FrontPage Extensions' option.
3. Select 'Uninstall Extensions'
4. Upon completion, select 'Clean up old Extensions'
5. Once completed, re-install and try connecting again from your computer.
Should the issue persist, you may need us to reinstall FrontPage extensions at System level. Please raise a support ticket.